Importance: High. As a SUP Instructor you need to understand at least the basics of the SUP paddle.
This lesson looks at the SUP paddle. It will take about 30 minutes to complete.
It is vital for the SUP instructor to have a basic understanding of SUP paddles, if only to ensure that the clients are using right size and style of paddle for their requirements. However, as the paddle is such a fundamental part of the SUP experience, it’s good to also understand the different constructions, options, blade shapes and how to advise a customer on purchasing a paddle.
The training video discusses:
- Why the SUP instructor needs to know about paddles
- The parts of the paddle
- Understanding blade shapes
- Understanding adjustment mechanisms
- The correct height for the paddle
- Paddle constructions
- How to advise a customer on what paddle to purchase.
The test at the completion of this online course may ask you about the pros and cons of the various SUP paddle constructions and the general approach to advising on the right sort of paddle for your client’s requirements.
Is there anything that we haven’t covered in this lesson, but which you would consider important/essential information in this particular area of knowledge? Or anything specific to your part of the world that differs or diverges significantly from what we suggest or recommend here? If so, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know about it.
- Do you understand why the SUP instructor needs to know about paddles?
- Can you name the various parts of the paddle?
- Do you know how to advise on the correct height for the paddle?
- Do you understand the pros and cons of the various paddle constructions?
- Could you give a customer some general advice on what sort of paddle to purchase?
If you’re unsure on any of these, go back and review the lesson again. Otherwise, you can move on to the next lesson